Sunday, January 31, 2021

Episode 44 - Lucy Takes Charge

Lucy looked out the passenger window as Mr. Gregory drove his car through the city streets. She let his stories about his troubled youth and how he finally turned his life around drown out her own thoughts of the past and current worries about her son.

As sirens blared out and lights flashed, Mr. Gregory pulled over to let an ambulance pass. Lucy perked up.

"Let's see where they're going," she suggested.

"It surely has nothing to do with Vince."

"I'm a doctor. Maybe I can help."

They followed the sirens and flashing lights through the city streets until they reached their destination. Emergency vehicles blocked the street in front of an office building engulfed in flames.

"My neighbor and lawyer works in that building." Lucy remarked. "Pull over somewhere out of the way."

Mr. Gregory pulled over into an empty parking spot a block away from the building. He had barely put the car in park before Lucy was opening the door and hurrying down the sidewalk. He followed behind, making sure to stay out of the way of the emergency responders at work.

Lucy flashed her hospital badge as she reached a police officer trying to keep bystanders and gawkers out of the way.

"I'm a doctor. Is anyone hurt?" she asked. As she looked over the officer's shoulder she could see the scene fully. Paramedics were tending to a man on the ground. Natalie stood nearby and Vince was talking to the police. "Excuse me. That's my son," she interrupted as she pushed past the officer who made no attempt to stop her.

Lucy reached Natalie first. She set a hand on the girl's shoulder. "What happened?"

"My dad and I were inside when the building caught on fire. He was trying to get out when there was an explosion."

Lucy turned to look at the man that the paramedics were now loading onto a stretcher and saw that it was Blaine. "They'll take good care of him. Are you hurt?"

Natalie shook her head.

Lucy could see the girl had a few cuts and was obviously shaken, but trusted she would be alright. "I'll be right back," she said comfortingly and then made her way over to check on Vince.

Lucy stepped next to her son. "What's going on?" she asked looking anxiously between her son and the officer.

"Who are you?" the officer asked.

"I'm this boy's mother."

"Your son is a witness to what happened here tonight and we need to ask him some questions."

Lucy nodded and let the officer continue.

"So you claim that you just happened to be walking by when you heard a crash and a scream. Then you approached to the building to see what was going on," the officer repeated back as he glanced at his notebook. His tone sounded unconvinced. "Did you notice anything? Was there anyone else around?"

Vince hesitated. His mouth was dry and he was struggling with how much to say. Leaving out so many vital details was making him nervous. If he told the police that Scot and the others were behind this, his former friends would turn on him and reveal his part in everything Scot had done to his father and he would be in deep trouble. If he lied and said nothing, he was sure he would get caught on his lies and in even more trouble. He was doomed either way. "There was," he said slowly, as if he were trying to remember. "I saw three guys run from the alley after the crash."

The officer was interested. "Can you describe them for me?"

Vince shook his head. His stomach was in knots as he questioned whether or not he was doing the right thing. "No. It was dark and their backs were to me. But there were three of them and they seemed like they were about my age."

"Could you make out any identifying details? Hair color, skin color, clothing?"

Vince shook his head and frowned. He had probably already said too much. "I don't know. I didn't notice. I don't remember."

"What were you doing when you heard the crash?" the officer asked pointedly.

"Just walking past," he shrugged.

"Why? Where were you going?"

"A friend asked me to meet with him . . . about a project for school," he said, trying to adjust his story quickly. "I was just going to drop off some notes for him before I went back to the school for the art show."

"And your friend can verify this?" he asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Just a minute," Lucy interrupted. Though the officer was trying to maintain an outwardly professional demeanor, she could sense the implied accusations. "You aren't suggesting that my son is somehow involved with this are you?"

"We're just collecting information, ma'am."

"If you think Vince is involved, you're wrong," Natalie spoke up as she joined the group. "Vince came to my rescue. He helped me escape this burning building and did CPR on my dad until help arrived. He isn't responsible for this."

"No one is accusing anyone of anything. At this point we are just trying to establish what happened."

"I think my son has already told you what he knows," Lucy said firmly. "If you need any more information from my underage son, you can ask him at the station with me or my lawyer present. Right now, what these children need is medical attention."

The officer nodded coolly and closed his notebook. "Fine. We will give you a call if we have further questions."

"Come on." Lucy ushered Natalie and Vince away from the scene.

"But my dad," Natalie protested. The paramedics had transferred Blaine to the ambulance and were getting ready to drive away.

"He's in good hands," Lucy assured her. "I'll take you both the the hospital to get cleaned up and checked out and we'll call your mom along the way."

They crossed the street to where a bewildered Mr. Gregory was waiting. Lucy gave him a weak smile as they headed back to the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment