Sunday, August 25, 2024

Episode 54 - Torn Apart

Blaine stared at Reese from his hospital bed. His face scrunched in confusion as he struggled to remember. "Aren't we dating?"

Cassie watched in horror as her husband looked past her at his ex. How could he not remember her or anything about their time together, but instantly recognize Reese? This was a nightmare. She wanted to sprint from the room and find someplace to cry, but instead, she felt rooted in place, watching her life turn into a train wreck while she was helpless to stop it.

Reese stepped into the room slowly. Warily she looked back and forth between Blaine and Cassie. The last thing she wanted was to be dragged into the middle of this. "Um, we used to, a long time ago."

"How long ago?" Blaine asked. "How long have I been out?"

When the nurse told him how long he had been unconscious and the current date, he just nodded as he took in the information.

"What year did you think it was?" Reese asked cautiously.

"I don't know," Blaine answered. "I just had a feeling that we were together."

They all turned to Cassie as she unsuccessfully choked back a sob. His words were like a knife to her heart. She knew he couldn't help what he was saying, but she couldn't help feeling utterly betrayed.

"But you said I'm married to her?" he asked the nurse as he nodded toward Cassie.

"Yes. Do you recognize her at all?" she asked gently.

Blaine studied Cassie's face. Through tears, her eyes were pleading with him to remember.

"Maybe . . .Didn't you work at a bar?" There was something about her that was starting to come back to him, but everything was fuzzy and his head felt heavy. "I'm sorry, I can't think right now."

"Don't stress yourself," the nurse said. "It might take some time for everything to come back to you. Why don't just rest for now?"

As the nurse ushered the women out of the room, she assured them, "It's a good sign that he's starting to remember some things. I'm sure more memories will come back in time. While your husband is getting some rest, you should do the same, Mrs. Kitteridge. I know you've barely slept in days. Maybe he will remember more in the morning."

Cassie just nodded and started to walk away, lost in a daze.

Reese wanted to apologize to Cassie or offer some words of comfort, but she was sure anything she said would be the wrong thing for Cassie. Instead, she turned to Natalie, "Let's go home."

* * * * *

As she left the community center, Chloe hurried down the sidewalk to catch up with Lucy. James, Logan, and Vanessa trailed behind.

"I'm so sorry. I never thought it would actually go this far. I can't believe it."

"You don't have to go through with leaving, Lucy," Logan said. "You can fight this and we will stand by you."

"I don't know," Lucy said wearily. "I don't want to be surrounded by people who don't want me or my son around."

"We want you around, both of you," Chloe insisted. "Who cares what Shayna and Lawrence think? I choose you over them any day."

"I can't say I didn't expect this from them," Lucy said. "But Edward and Alma too?"

"That surprised me as well," Vanessa remarked, just as the Wiltons were walking the other way to their house. "I don't know what they were thinking."

Lucy turned away. This whole night had been completely humiliating and she didn't even want to see them from a distance or give them a second thought.

"Ugh, I'm going home. I've had enough for tonight. I don't know how I'm going to break this to my kids."

"If you need anything, you call one of us. Anytime," Chloe made Lucy promise before they said goodnight and headed to their separate homes.

*****

As Vanessa and Logan started home, Vanessa spotted Lawrence leaving the community building alone. She told Logan she would see him at home and caught up to Lawrence as he was walking up to his front door.

"Lawrence, can we talk for a minute?" she asked.

He stopped and turned to face her with arms crossed. "Let me have it."

"I'm not sure where to start," she said, throwing up her arms. "I am just so incredibly ashamed and disappointed in your part in this. How could you go against Lucy and Vince?"

"It wasn't personal."

"Well, maybe it should have been. I know you want to talk about the rules and procedures and safety, but I don't think this is what it should be about at all. You talk about making this a safe place to live, but when you started this neighborhood I don't think safety was what you were really looking for."

"You don't?"

"No. Think about it. Before you started this community you were alone. You lived most of your life without any family to speak of. I think that's what you were looking for, a family, a community, and you built that here. This is a wonderful place, not because of the rules or the security or its reputation, but because of the community that we've built here. All of us are a vital part of that, Lucy included. We aren't just neighbors here, but we're friends and family, some by blood or marriage and some by choice. We all come together to help each other and support each other. We've been together through all the important events in our lives over the last fifteen years. Where would we be without that?"

Lawrence just shook his head. He had nothing to say to that.

"I wouldn't say that any of us are expendable. But Lucy? She was Eileen's best friend. They were like sisters. And Vince? We watched that little boy grow up. How could you turn your back on them like they're strangers?"

"Are you going to tell me what Eileen would think of me too?"

"No. I'm sure you already know, better than I would."

"I appreciate your perspective," he said as he turned away.

"Honey, you need to take a good hard look at yourself and your choices. You need to set this right before this neighborhood is torn apart," she called after him. "If it isn't too late already."

No comments:

Post a Comment